Weekly Calls for Seniors
Each week, Mayor Devanney deploys a call geared specifically to seniors. These calls include the latest COVID news, as well as information about other things happening in Town, such as what's coming up at the next Township Council meeting, redevelopment updates, library news, and seasonal resident services. Emergency news will also be issued via this method. It's a great way for seniors to not only be more informed about what going on town, but to feel more connected to the community.
If you are a senior citizen and have any questions about senior-specific and/or Township-specific information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the clerk's office at (9082) 464-2700 x. 2114.
Make Your Voices heard! New Jersey Residents About How to Make the State a Better Place for All Ages
The New Jersey Age-Friendly Advisory Council and the New Jersey Department of Human Services (DHS) will be holding two virtual listening sessions to hear from New Jersey residents about how to make the state a better place for all ages. Governor Phil Murphy has tasked DHS with creating a blueprint that outlines the best practices to make New Jersey more age-friendly, and getting input from people for whom this matters most is an important part in this process.
The first session will be held on Tuesday, March 14, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. ET, and the second session will be held on Tuesday, March 21, 2023, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. ET.
Registration for speaking at the event, which will be held on Zoom, can be done by filling the registration form here. The Advisory Council and DHS ask that testimony be limited to three minutes. People who are unable to speak at the meeting can send written testimony to DoAS.AgeFriendlyNJ@dhs.nj.gov.
Registration is only necessary for those who wish to provide verbal testimony. The listening sessions will be streamed on the official DHS YouTube page here.
For any questions about the listening sessions, feel free to e-mail DoAS.AgeFriendlyNJ@dhs.nj.gov or call (800) 792-8820 for assistance.
Alzheimer's New Jersey Family Support Group Meetings in Chatham
Union County's 'Social 60+' Gets Seniors Social!
The Union County Division on Aging has launched a new program, Social 60+, that will provide vouchers for seniors to enjoy a lovely dinner at the Garden Restaurant in Union as part of its ongoing congregate dining program.
Applicants must call the Division on Aging to get registered to receive the voucher. Refusal to provide required information (name, address, date of birth, address, telephone number, and ethnicity) during the initial call will result in the inability to obtain a voucher. Click here to view the voucher program rules.
The Division on Aging if very excited about this new program. View the press release here.
“Social 60+ is a new initiative of Union County to bring together the older adult community, not only to receive a balanced meal, but by sharing it together, meeting other residents in the community,” said County Commissioner Chair Rebecca Williams. “This new program will give people the opportunity to socialize, try new restaurants and get a healthy, affordable meal option.”
Social 60+ was designed to bring the benefits of a healthy meal and socialization into the community for older adults in Union County. As part of the pilot program, The Garden Restaurant, located at 943 Magie Avenue in Union, NJ, has agreed to accept a voucher from the Union County Division on Aging in exchange for meal options designated by the restaurant. More info here.
There are no published events in current month.
Berkeley Heights has a 22-passenger senior bus equipped with a wheelchair lift. The bus service was suspended during COVID19, resumed September 2022. It will now pick up seniors every Monday at 11am after Senior Bingo for shopping and lunch (schedule is above). Longer trips will be offered one Friday/month. Both schedules are subject to change as we assess interest/demand from potential riders.
Please call the BH Recreation Department with questions: (908) 464-0550, Option 3. To reserve your spot on the bus, please call (908) 464-2700 ext. 2229. Please leave name, phone number, address and which trip(s) you want to take. If you need a ride to Monday Senior Bingo at Town Hall, please call the Senior Hotline at (908) 464-2700 ext. 2229 and leave a message with your name, contact number and address, and we will have the bus pick you up.
In addition, the Senior Club offers longer bus trips to Atlantic City. Please call Shirley at (908) 322-8391 for more information and to reserve a spot.
Please join the 501c3 "Senior Club" at their weekly meetings - Tuesdays at 10:30am at the Township Municipal Complex at 29 Park Avenue in Berkeley Heights. All welcome, working or retired. Everyone 55 and over is invited and encouraged to attend our meetings, trips and loads of parties. The Senior Club is an independent, 501c3 organization. For information on Senior Club activities or trips, please contact Connie Dardis at email@example.com.
Senior Programs & Resources
Union County Senior Services
The County of Union presents this online resource directory as a tool for interested users. It includes:
- a helpful list of NJ Senior Services eligibility, by age
- Union County The Service Network (for seniors) Newsletter
- Frequently Called Numbers (ex - American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Union County Division On Aging)
- A list of Adult Day Centers
- Adult Protective Services
- and so much more...
Union County provides these additional resources for seniors:
Safety and Success in a Post-Pandemic Society; presentation by Dr. Daniela Accurso of Summit Health
The Covid-19 Pandemic has been a health crises that we have been fighting for the last year and a half. Dr. Accurso’s presentation is focused on reviewing how far we have come as a society and to address the questions, health concerns, and important precautions we need to take as we integrate ourselves back into a healthy community.
To view the presentation, click here
- Union County Paratransit system - For medical appointments, education, work, shopping & other errands. All Reservations may be taken up to three (3) weeks in advance. Call 908-241-8300 (Option 1) to make your reservation and schedule your trip.
- Union County College: Socially Distanced Senior Scholars - Spring 2021 Course Offerings
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: March/April 2021
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: February 2021
- Union County Division of Aging
- Union County Resources Directory @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
COVID-19 Vaccine Update
All individuals aged 16 and older who live, work, or study in New Jersey are eligible for COVID-19 vaccines.
See where you or a loved one can find a vaccine appointment at covid19.nj.gov/finder.
Learn more about COVID-19 vaccines and New Jersey's vaccination efforts at covid19.nj.gov/vaccine
Senior Advisory Board
The Senior Citizens Advisory Board, approved on September 24, 2019, advises the Mayor and Township Council and the Parks & Recreation Director on all matters relating to policies and programs which will serve all senior citizens of this community including:
- Identifying the needs of Berkeley Heights’ senior residents and create a citizen awareness of these needs.
- Establishing a communications system, e-mail/phone and other modes of communication to alert Berkeley Heights senior residents on urgent and other matters on-going in the township in conjunction with the Township Communications Committee.
- Advising the Mayor, Township Council, and other Township departments, commissions and committees on all matters affecting Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Supporting existing services to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents, both public and private, and encouraging coordination among organizations providing such services.
- In cooperation with other organizations, disseminating information on services available to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Performing such other functions and duties as may be directed by the Mayor and Township Council.
- Serving as an advocate for the needs of senior citizens.
Programs & Resources
Senior Club Christmas Party - December, 2019
On December 11, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lively Christmas party including lunch and, as always, lots of dancing! These parties are so much fun! Here’s a quick view of the good times had by all:
Senior Club Halloween Party - October, 2019
On October 24, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lovely day of lunch, dancing and, of course, costumes. It was so much fun for all. Here’s a sample: