Weekly Calls for Seniors
Each week, Mayor Devanney deploys a call geared specifically to seniors. These calls include the latest COVID news, as well as information about other things happening in Town, such as what's coming up at the next Township Council meeting, redevelopment updates, library news, and seasonal resident services. Emergency news will also be issued via this method. It's a great way for seniors to not only be more informed about what going on town, but to feel more connected to the community.
If you are a senior citizen and have any questions about senior-specific and/or Township-specific information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the clerk's office at (9082) 464-2700 x. 2114.
The Township of Berkeley Heights and the Senior Affairs Committee invite all Berkeley Heights seniors and their families to join us for a Senior Information Fair on Saturday, May 14 from 10 am-3 pm at Town Hall, located at 29 Park Avenue in Berkeley Heights. Representatives from over a dozen organizations - including Atlantic Health, Total Health, the YMCA, Westminster Church, Berkeley Heights Public Library, SAGE Eldercare, Union County Veterans' Office and more - will be on hand to provide information about services and programs available to seniors, and to answer any questions.
It will be a great opportunity for seniors and their families to get valuable information about activities, recreational programs, and assistance available to them. Please join us!
May 2022 Senior Program Schedule
Senior Programs & Resources
Union County Senior Services
The County of Union presents this online resource directory as a tool for interested users. It includes:
- a helpful list of NJ Senior Services eligibility, by age
- Union County The Service Network (for seniors) Newsletter
- Frequently Called Numbers (ex - American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Union County Division On Aging)
- A list of Adult Day Centers
- Adult Protective Services
- and so much more...
Union County provides these additional resources for seniors:
Safety and Success in a Post-Pandemic Society; presentation by Dr. Daniela Accurso of Summit Health
The Covid-19 Pandemic has been a health crises that we have been fighting for the last year and a half. Dr. Accurso’s presentation is focused on reviewing how far we have come as a society and to address the questions, health concerns, and important precautions we need to take as we integrate ourselves back into a healthy community.
To view the presentation, click here
- Union County Paratransit system - For medical appts, education, work, shopping & other errands. All Reservations may be taken up to three (3) weeks in advance. Call 908-241-8300 (Option 1) to make your reservation and schedule your trip.
- Union County College: Socially Distanced Senior Scholars - Spring 2021 Course Offerings
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: March/April 2021
- Berkeley Heights Township Newsletter: February 2021
- Union County Division of Aging
- Union County Resources Directory @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
COVID-19 Vaccine Update
All individuals aged 16 and older who live, work, or study in New Jersey are eligible for COVID-19 vaccines.
See where you or a loved one can find a vaccine appointment at covid19.nj.gov/finder.
Learn more about COVID-19 vaccines and New Jersey's vaccination efforts at covid19.nj.gov/vaccine
Senior Advisory Board
The Senior Citizens Advisory Board, approved on September 24, 2019, advises the Mayor and Township Council and the Parks & Recreation Director on all matters relating to policies and programs which will serve all senior citizens of this community including:
- Identifying the needs of Berkeley Heights’ senior residents and create a citizen awareness of these needs.
- Establishing a communications system, e-mail/phone and other modes of communication to alert Berkeley Heights senior residents on urgent and other matters on-going in the township in conjunction with the Township Communications Committee.
- Advising the Mayor, Township Council, and other Township departments, commissions and committees on all matters affecting Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Supporting existing services to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents, both public and private, and encouraging coordination among organizations providing such services.
- In cooperation with other organizations, disseminating information on services available to Berkeley Heights’ senior residents.
- Performing such other functions and duties as may be directed by the Mayor and Township Council.
- Serving as an advocate for the needs of senior citizens.
Berkeley Heights has a 22-passenger senior bus equipped with a wheelchair lift. The bus service was suspended during COVID19. As of February 2022, the Township is still trying to find a driver so we can resume bus service.
Please call the BH Recreation Department with questions: (908) 464-0550, Option 3. Please leave name, phone number, address and which trip(s) you want to take.
Please join the "Seniors" at their weekly meetings - Tuesdays at 10:30am at the Township Municipal Complex at 29 Park Avenue in Berkeley Heights. All welcome, working or retired. Everyone 55 and over is invited and encouraged to attend our meetings, trips and loads of parties. The Senior Club is an independent, 501c3 organization. For information on Senior Club activities or trips, please contact Connie Dardis at email@example.com.
BH Senior News - March/April 2021
Programs & Resources
Senior Club Christmas Party - December, 2019
On December 11, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lively Christmas party including lunch and, as always, lots of dancing! These parties are so much fun! Here’s a quick view of the good times had by all:
Senior Club Halloween Party - October, 2019
On October 24, the Senior Club gathered at The Primavera Regency for a lovely day of lunch, dancing and, of course, costumes. It was so much fun for all. Here’s a sample: