Apply for a Marriage / Civil Union License

Due to COVID-19, ALL Vital Statistic Requests are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.  

Please CALL 908-464-2700 x 2114 OR EMAIL Registrar to schedule.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

To apply for a Marriage or Civil Union License.....

  1. Complete the Marriage / Remarriage / Civil Union LicenseApplication
    • Complete only Page 1 (form MUST be printed 2-sided)
  2. Bring the following to the Township Clerk’s office:
    • Completed Application
    • Current and Valid id (driver’s license, passport or foreign ID)
    • $28 (cash or check payable to “Township of Berkeley Heights,”)
    • 1 witness (must be over 18 and have current/valid ID)
  3. Registrar will review your application and ID to confirm the following:
    • Application is filled out completely and accurately
    • Application is legible
    • ID is current and valid
    • ID matches the application EXACTLY (first, middle, and last name, address, and date of birth)
  4. Witness will complete his/her portion of the application in presence of Registrar
  5. Spouse A and Spouse B read the Oath in presence of Registrar
  6. Spouse A, Spouse B, and Witness sign the application in presence of Registrar
  7. Registrar will sign the application
  8. License can be released by the Registrar 72 hours (to the minute) after the application is signed

Important to Note:

  • You MUST provide a "clean" application.  There can be no markups, no cross-outs and no whiteout.
  • When the application asks for parents’ names, it must be your mother’s name at her birth.
  • If your birth name (name that is on your birth certificate) does not EXACTLY match your name as it appears on your identification, then on the application you must enter your birth name in Box 1 and you must enter your name as it appears on your id in Box 1a under Current Name.
  • Once you complete the application process, the license is valid for 6 months, however, it will only be valid for 30 days once you pick it up. So you won’t want to pick it up more than 30 days prior to your wedding.
  • Once you are married you must formally request a Certified Copy of your Marriage License. It will not automatically be produced for you. This request must be made through the Local Registrar in the Municipality where the marriage took place OR the State office.