- Township Clerk
- Vital Statistics
- Apply for a Marriage / Civil Union License
Apply for a Marriage / Civil Union License
Please ensure that the Registrar is available and all of the requirements are met by scheduling an appointment through email at DeputyClerk@BHTwp.com Thank you.
An informative email will be sent to you prior to your appointment, if there are any questions please reach out the the Registrar at 908-464-2700 ext. 2114
To apply for a Marriage, Remarriage, or Civil Union License.....
- Complete the Marriage / Remarriage / Civil Union License Application
- Complete all of Page 1
- Social Security Numbers on the bottom of Page 2
- Please make sure that:
- Application is filled out completely and accurately
- Application is legible
- Photo ID is current and valid
- Information on ID matches the application EXACTLY (first, middle, and last name, address, and date of birth)
- Application MUST be printed 2-sided (if this is a problem, copies can be picked up at the Township Clerk's Office)
- Contact the Registrar to schedule an appointment to complete the application process. While appointments are not required, they are strongly suggested. Having an appointment ensures that the Registrar is in and available to process your application.
- BOTH applicants must meet with the Registrar to complete the Application process.
When you meet with the Registrar, you must bring to the following….
- Completed application
- Applicant’s ID and proof of residence (ie. original driver’s license or passport)
- 1 Witness (must be over the age of 18 AND must bring photo ID)
- $28 either in cash with exact change OR check made payable to “Township of Berkeley Heights”
When completing the application:
- You MUST provide a "clean" application. There can be no markups, no cross-outs and no whiteout.
- When the application asks for parents’ names, it must be your mother’s name at her birth.
- If your birth name (name that is on your birth certificate) does not EXACTLY match your name as it appears on your identification, then on the application you must enter your birth name in Box 1 and you must enter your name as it appears on your id in Box 1a under Current Name.
- If your license does not have your current address you must also provide a copy of the confirmation from Motor Vehicle Commission which shows your change of address.
Important to note about the process:
- Once the application is complete, there is a REQUIRED 72 hour waiting period before your marriage license can be issued.
- Once the marriage license is issued, it is valid for 30 days.
- Once you are married you must formally request a Certified Copy of your Marriage License. It will not automatically be produced for you. This request must be made through the Local Registrar in the Municipality where the marriage took place OR through the New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics.