By Council President Jeanne Kingsley
The next town council meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 15 at 7:00PM. Member of Council, Mayor Devanney, and Administration staff will be participating electronically via ZOOM in this meeting. For this and all future electronic meetings, members of the public will be able to comment by video and comments will also be accepted by email to email@example.com or by writer letter to Township Clerk, 29 Park Ave, Berkeley Heights NJ 07922. Comments must be received by the Township Clerk by 4:00 PM on the date of the ZOOM meeting. The meeting ID for the Zoom meeting is http://zoom.us/s/3575747364.
The first item on the agenda is a public hearing and final adoption of an ordinance to prohibit the sale, growth, and distribution of any class of cannabis businesses within the geographical boundaries of Berkeley Heights. Council is proposing this ordinance to allow time for the State to fully develop the regulatory framework and for the council and community to weigh the costs and benefits of any action regarding the sale, growth and distribution of cannabis. Once this is passed, the Township can decide later whether to opt in.
The second item on the agenda is a public hearing and final adoption of an Ordinance appropriating $12,000 from the Capital Improvement Fund for Park Improvements in Berkeley Heights. These funds will be used for the repair and reconstruction of portions of the 9/11 Memorial Park. The goal is to have the work completed by September 11, 2021.
The third item on the agenda is a public hearing and final adoption of an Ordinance Vacating a Portion of Sherman Ave in Berkeley Heights. This is part of the Stratton House Redevelopment Agreement (Section 4.10).
The Council will vote on the following resolutions:
- Approve Bill List dated June 15, 2021 in the amount of $4,715,353.63 for vouchers that have been properly approved for processing and payment.
- Authorize a Shared Service Agreement with the Borough of New Providence to allow New Providence DPW trucks to use the Berkeley Heights DPW wash station if needed.
- Authorize the renewal of Alcoholic Beverage Licenses for a period of one year expiring on June 30, 2022.
- Authorize a professional services contract to Connolly & Hickey Historical Architects for preparation of design and contract documents for stabilization and partial Exterior restoration of the Littel Lord Farmhouse in an amount not to exceed $37,650.00. The funds for this project will be from the Littel Lord Trust.
- Request approval to add $27,067.71 in revenue to the 2021 budget, under the title of Clean Communities Fund. This is for the Clean Communities Grant awarded to the Township in 2021, after the budget was approved.
- Request approval of $62,000 as revenue in the 2021 budget under the title of Union County Infrastructure Grant. This 2021 grant was awarded to the town after the 2021 budget was approved; the money will be used to install drainage under Glenside Ave.
- Authorize SAI Environmental Services LLC., to complete exterior asbestos abatement for the old town hall building, in an amount not to exceed $88,000.00
- Authorize changes to the scope of the Municipal Complex Redevelopment Project; this credit is for exterior asbestos abatement work uncompleted by redeveloper Epic.
- Affirm compliance with Civil Rights requirements and with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Authorize the Township to participate in the Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, established by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021; the Township is getting $1,398,685.89 in federal fund to respond to adverse effects of COVID, and can be used for certain infrastructure needs.
- Approve submission of a grant application to the New Jersey Department of Transportation for the Walk, Don’t Drive to the Berkeley Heights Transit Stations Project. This is for sidewalk additions along the East side of Snyder Ave, from the Hughes Elementary school to Locust Ave.
Click here to view the complete Council agenda.
The next Council meeting is scheduled of July 6, 2021 at 7 pm.